Guide for performing a Linear Regression on the TI-83
1. Put the data for the activity into two lists, one for the independent (L1) and one for the dependent variable (L2). Make sure that there are no equations entered in graphing mode by pressing and then in the y1 field.
2. Press the button and the statistical menu will appear. Press and confirm that CALC is highlighted on the top row. Scroll down using the key until you reach choice 4: LinReg(ax+b). Press the button.
3. Enter the lists containing the data for the regression with the keys , comma, and , comma. Then press the key.
4. When the VARS menu appears, press and confirm that Y-VARS is highlighted. Press the key.
5. When the FUNCTION menu appears, press the key twice.
6. The screen will display the results of the regression. A is the slope, B is the Y-intercept, and r is the value for the fit, or correlation coefficent.
7. In order to view the graph of the regression, press . When the STAT PLOTS menu appears, press .
8. While Plot1 is highlighted, make sure that ON is highlighted and Type is set to the first choice. When all is set properly, press the button.
9.The resulting graph is a scatter plot of the test data and a regression line for that data.
Original work on this document was done by Central Virginia Governor's School student Christian Neeley (Class of '98).
Copyright © 1997 Central Virginia Governor's School for Science and Technology Lynchburg, VA