Guide for Determining a Mean of Data Using Excel
1. Open your data file in Excel.
2. Click in a cell that does not contain any data. The results of your function will appear here.
3. From the Data tab, select Function.
4. Click on AVERAGE and click "OK."
5. The following dialogue box will appear. Highlight the cells containing the data from the sample and press the "Enter" key.
6. Click "OK." and the mean of the sample will be calculated.
Original work on this document was done by Central Virginia Governor's School students Jennifer Rice, Eliza Evans, and Chris Earle (Class of '03).
Copyright © 2002 Central Virginia Governor's School for Science and Technology, Lynchburg, VA