Central Virginia Governor’s School Internship Program
“Experiencing Science and Technology in Today’s World”
Fridays~February 13, 2015 through May 15, 2015
Internship questions? Contact Scott Douglass at email@example.com
The purpose of the CVGS internship program is to engage students in meaningful learning activities in the workplace focusing on science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM careers). Each CVGS junior will be assigned a mentor or mentors and will have 12 Friday mornings (36 contact hours) of activities or assigned projects. Sponsor organizations represent engineering, laboratory, government, education and medical partners within Virginia’s Region 2000. The internship experience is integral to CVGS program. Interns will receive periodic "internship newsletters" through their CVGS email accounts.
Intern Expectations are to:
- Attend all 12 internship dates 8:00 am to 11:00 am
- Provide transportation to and from the sponsor's site.
- Respect the confidentiality of the organization.
- Provide the mentor with a resume at the first meeting.
- Report to designated area on time.
- Contact mentor and CVGS if he/she is unable to report.
- Perform only specified activities outlined by the CVGS administration.
- Stay with the mentor or assigned person at all times.
- Be neatly groomed and wear appropriate attire.
- Be conscious of job safety at all times.
- Get parent permission forms signed if drug testing is required.
- Deliver all required internship paperwork and assignments on time.
The mentor will:
- Meet with the CVGS administration to design specific objectives and activities for the intern
- Meet the intern each morning at the designated area.
- Insure that the intern is under supervision of an adult at all times.
- Encourage the intern to develop problem-solving skills and to develop independence.
- Explain safety precautions to the intern.
- Provide a beneficial experience for the intern.
- Communicate with CVGS about the intern's progress.
- Complete the evaluation of the internship program.
- Complete background check. Click here to begin.
Schedule of Important Dates
February 19 Internship week 1
February 26 Internship week 2
March 4 Internship week 3
March 11 Internship week 4
March 18 Internship week 5
March 25 Internship week 6
April 1 Spring Break
April 8 Internship week 7
April 15 Internship week 8
April 22 Internship week 9
April 29 Internship week 10
May 6 AP Testing (US History)
May 13 Internship week 11
Mary 20 Last internship day week 12