Central Virginia Governor’s School Internship Program
“Experiencing Science and Technology in Today’s World”
Fridays~February 14, 2014 through May 16, 2014
Internship questions? Contact Dr. Cheryl Lindeman at firstname.lastname@example.org
The purpose of the CVGS internship program is to engage students in meaningful learning activities in the workplace focusing on science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM careers). Each CVGS junior will be assigned a mentor or mentors and will have 12 Friday mornings (36 contact hours) of activities or assigned projects. Sponsor organizations represent engineering, laboratory, government, education and medical partners within Virginia’s Region 2000. The internship experience is integral to CVGS program. Interns will receive periodic "internship newsletters" through their CVGS email accounts.
Intern Expectations are to:
• Attend all 12 internship dates 8:00 am to 11:00 am
• Provide transportation to and from the sponsor's site.
• Respect the confidentiality of the organization.
• Provide the mentor with a resume at the first meeting.
• Report to designated area on time.
• Contact mentor and CVGS if he/she is unable to report.
• Perform only specified activities outlined by the CVGS administration.
• Stay with the mentor or assigned person at all times.
• Be neatly groomed and wear appropriate attire.
• Be conscious of job safety at all times.
• Get parent permission forms signed if drug testing is required.
• Deliver all required internship paperwork and assignments on time.
The mentor will:
• Meet with the CVGS administration to design specific objectives and activities for the intern
• Meet the intern each morning at the designated area.
• Insure that the intern is under supervision of an adult at all times.
• Encourage the intern to develop problem-solving skills and to develop independence.
• Explain safety precautions to the intern.
• Provide a beneficial experience for the intern.
• Communicate with CVGS about the intern's progress.
• Complete the evaluation of the internship program.
Schedule of Important Dates
August 19 Parent and student meeting
August 26 Student Intern Opportunity Form + Centra Permission form if applicable due
September 6 Student interest inventory submitted online
September – December Dr. Lindeman talks with individual students
Students work on resumes during junior research for a grade
November 1 Students interested in a Centra Internship turn in Centra Packet to Dr. Lindeman
December 6 Centra final date to complete missing information on Centra forms (if this is not done the student will be removed from the Centra Intern List) Centra online orientation instruction details emailed to eligible students.
January 15 Centra Interns visit Lynchburg General 7:30 -10:30 a.m. (bus transportation provided from CVGS to LGH (Snow Date January 22)
January 15-Feb 7 All other intern placements are made, paperwork signed on case by case basis. Mentor visits are scheduled.
February 7 Internship Primer Presentation by CVGS Industrial Advisory Board
February 14 Internships begin!
Assigned faculty visit the interns during March, April and May
(For Centra Interns March 28 is the beginning of the new rotation)
April 18 Spring Break, interns do not report
May 9 AP English Test- some interns do not report or reschedule for the afternoon
May 16 Last day of internships! Some interns have presentations at the sponsor location.
- May 20 Final Internship paperwork due: attendance log